Museum · cairo · founded 1908; inaugurated 14 March 1910
Featured place
Founded by Marcus Simaika Pasha within the Old Cairo compound, the museum holds the world's largest collection of Coptic artifacts — icons, textiles, frescoes and manuscripts, among them codices of the Nag Hammadi library.
Also known as: Al-Mathaf al-Qibti
1908: Marcus Simaika founds the museum beside the historic churches of Old Cairo.
14 March 1910: the museum is inaugurated.
After 1945: codices of the Nag Hammadi library enter its care in Cairo.